Newly-grouped and weaned beef or dairy calves face a challenge of transitioning smoothly.
Grouping calves for the first time is a stressful event:
- Poor or zero feed intakes for days
- The absence of milk in newly-weaned beef calves
- Social stress from other calves
- Not recognising TMR as feed
- Bunks or troughs are a new concept to corralled calves
By top-dressing the TMR in bunks, calves are instinctively drawn to the highly palatable 40% lactose technology and aggressively eat through the TMR in day of transition.